Friday, November 06, 2009

Downtown - The Reader

This is the first in a collection of short, short stories inspired by people I see downtown.

The Reader

He sits on that stone wall near the green downtown, oblivious to the rush of the city around him. Next to him, a stack of old books, dog eared and stained – volumes of poetry, adventure, philosophy and love – his wealth of knowledge. His dirty grey beard trembles as he mouths the words, passages he knows by heart. He licks his thumb and turns the page with great care, each page precious, each word a treasure. Every truth exists between the title and the end.

Exactly at five he takes his companions and places them in a tattered bag with the few other things he calls his own. Clutching his belongings to his chest, he makes his way down Water Street to a place with better light.

12 comments:

  1. I like this alot, and the Downtown concept is promising.

    You show us someone who's only purpose and aim in life is to read. He's reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, he would be at home there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has the feel of a beautifully animated painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful observations. "...each page precious, each word a treasure." Absolutely!!

    Nice idea, too. Great work as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, especially the inclusion of Downtown in the title. That brings about such a clearer picture of the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!

    People watching is one of my favorite things to do when I'm out and about.

    I love that the Reader moves away to a place where he can continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, now this is a perfect argument against everything going digital. He wouldn't have the same pleasure clutching an e-reader! lol
    Thanks for sharing this written portrait with us, he would probably enjoy your vision of him also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. each page precious, each word a treasure. Every truth exists between the title and the end. - that is outstanding verse.
    Excellent Laurita, and good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. I especially love that he moves to a place with better light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful description!
    And I'm sure he would cherish these words as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent description. I want to talk to him about his books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "poetyr, adventure, philosophy and love" - the four elements, are they not?
    The description makes me feel very happy for this person, ensconced in his lovely book world

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurita, dunno how I missed this one... I love it. Submit this piece of lovely flash somewhere. May I suggest Gutter Eloquence? They may take it or better yet, Zygote in my Coffee

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?