Thursday, November 19, 2009

Noteworthy

Part three of Downtown.

He stands alone in the shelter of a closed up shop on Water Street. His fingers, calloused with the practice of his passion, move skillfully over worn strings. In the heat of summer and in winter's biting cold, he plays.

They rush past without seeing, vision focused until there is none. He sings about them as they pass - honest words, pure voice - but they do not hear. They are occupied with significant things; the evening meal, catching the train, picking up the dry cleaning.

Occasionally one will stop, listen to his song, nod or tap a foot to his tune. He appreciates this more than the coins thrown absently into his battered guitar case.

23 comments:

  1. You've done it again, with these tiny pieces that pack a big punch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. recognition, isn't that what we all hope for? I see him in your words..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories of the only trip I've taken to Nashville. So much great talent being passed by every day.
    You've painted a vivid picture with so few words - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what this said about the peoople in the town. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I promise to pay attention to the next street musician I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Occasionally one will stop, listen to his song" Isn't this what we as writers share in common with musicians?

    I've stopped by and found your music wholeheartedly delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One can use many words without actually saying a thing, and I find this to be quite the opposite... (^V^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, in only a few words it's so beautiful yet sad...

    (PS: what's with today's #fridayflash, almost each story I read so far is sad. and yes, including mine...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being acknowledged. It's almost divine.

    Lovely piece.

    [I just have to say that I love the name of your site. "Brain Droppings" makes me smile every time I open the page]
    Karen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this addition to your Downtown work.

    Once I stopped to listen to musicians playing a lively Celtic tune one early evening. They had people stopping, clapping, and dancing in the streets. You are correct. While happy to be earning some money, the musicians looked more thrilled to have entertained the audience.

    Anyway, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, everyone.

    Angel, you're right. I think we all want just a little acknowledgment now and then. Someone to stop and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never fail to capture the heart of things when you write ... impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And just as sad are the people rushing by, who don't realize they're not really living but going through the motions...
    Wonderfully told!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another strong tiny flash. You have short fiction down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the way you sum up people with, "They are occupied with significant things."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your stories. Each is like a perfect piece of most excellent chocolate.

    Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. This could be a poem... elegant and short. Again, I love the series...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't add more to that which has been said. Great character, fantastic flash.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, a fantastic vignette. Perfect capture, amazing turns of phrase, and a wonderful flow. It's almost lilting in its peaceful quality.

    GREAT piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "They rush past without seeing, vision focused until there is none."
    -I love that sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these 'downtown' pieces - well written and combined, (like a chapbook) I think have excellent potential.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?